Thursday, September 4, 2008

Next Up, FIRMMAN

As the weekend approaches I am stoked for my half-iron race this weekend. It is a 1.2 mile ocean swim at Naragansett Town Beach in RI, followed by a 56 mile bike completed mostly in the breakdown lane of route 1 (yikes!) and finished up with a flat, scenic 13.1 mile run that finishes with the last 1/4 mile on the sand...sweet!

The plan is to get in a nice ride with Kara on Saturday morning before heading down with Jim and Kelly. Kara wants to attack the hills that day, so weather permitting we will get in a good hill workout before heading to the beach.

There is a good group of 'Nauts going down so it should be a great weekend, especially with Thierry and Aurelie hosting a pre race BBQ at their beach house the night before. I am super stoked for this race because I have never been in this good shape for this distance. I know I can have a strong swim and and strong bike leg on Sunday, however my running isn't what it should be as my long since placid has been 3 miles. I am counting on my base to still be enough along with the mental aspect being at its peak.

The race is Sunday morning and I will be sure to post the outcome. The goal will be to win my age division (Males 20-24) as I have never done this at this race, and to PR (break 4:39). Oh yea, and they are prediciting one of the hurricanes to be moving through the RI area this weekend, so it will definitely be an exciting weekend!

No comments: