Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cause for Concern

So its now the middle of March and the St. Paddy's Day 10k in Holyoke is 10 days away. This is a race that suppossed to be a bench mark for my winter run training. Unfortunately I have been sidelined with mild calf issues that have prevented me from putting in the necessary miles to put forth a worthy effort come next weekend.

At this point I am not sure if I am going to run it at all. I NEED to race but at the same time the race that matters most at this point is Rhody 70.3 If I overdue it next weekend it could screw me over for Rhode Island.

On a brighter note, I accepted a position as a physical therapist in Springfield about 4 miles from campus. Once I begin working I will be able to complete many more swim workouts than last year. I realize that most swim leads get swallowed up on the bike or run, but with my bike legs being as strong as they were I normally maintained my position on the bike or made gains. If I put adequate time into my swim (3 days/week) I think I will have a little more to work with come race season. This will also give me time to heal my legs for building necessary base miles for the run.

I will continue to hit the gym at least 3-4 times/week and hopefully eat better in order to get down to race weight come July. I am very excited to see how these next few months pan out. Till next time

Cheers,
Paul

No comments: